CGME: CounterMoves Generic Microgame Engine
An "engine" for writing microgame-style wargames.
CGME is a braindeadedly-simple, two-page set of rules for quickly
designing microgame-style wargames. It is used extensively by the
CounterMoves group, and provides a common basis off of which
such games can easily be created.
It is distributed in several text formats, all available
This bundle includes CGME's Common Optional Rules Supplement (CORS), a
collection of common optional/house rules.
The complete set may be modified and redistributed however you see
fit. The only copying restrictions which might apply are
the graphics for specific games: those are often copyrighted works
with limited distribution rights.
While not strictly required, the following are recommended:
- 6-sided dice: 1 or 2 will do.
- A CGME-based game - write your own or see below for a list of existing games.
- Some wargaming experience.
- A printer, to print out the rules, maps and playing pieces. Alternately,
use your favourite generic electronic interface (Cyberboard, V_MAP, QUB, etc.).
We have several complete, ready-to-play games based upon the CGME
system, all of which are available for download and freely
Coming someday (maybe)...
- CounterSpace - Space-opera style ship-to-ship combat.
- CounterColors - An abstract wargame of Color vs Non-Color.
- VEG - Hovertanks and power-armored infantry wage battles
in a not-too-distant future.
- OssO - More futuristic armored warfare, but on an unusual game board.
- Joe - Plastic army men duke it out on a chessboard.
- CounterDungeons - Hack! Slay! Have a nice day!
And some "perpetually under-development", planned future releases include:
- CounterAttack - like Doom for your tabletop.
- Dryad - woodland spirits fight to protect their homes from raging lumberjacks.
- EleMechs - over-abstracted, over-simplified mecha combat set in a universe
where the four elements make the rules.
- TexMechs - a "more conventional" mecha combat game, not as simple as EleMechs,
but a lot simpler than most popular mecha games.